Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

18 December 2007

Distance makes the Heart Grow Fonder

This is my (current) favourite photo of my youngest grand daughter. Even at just 3 months of age she lights up the world around her - captivated and captivating!

As I gaze into her eyes, I see another ... young, innocent, beauty staring back at me - my own daughter (the babies mother).





The feelings that flood my heart and the memories they evoke are bitter, sweet.


Sweet because I love them both so much ... bitter because of the vast expanse of ocean that separates me from them both and the longing I have to hold them!


Where has all the time gone? My 'baby', now has two babies of her own.


I've been thinking a lot lately about the so-called 'empty nest syndrome'. All three of our children left home; one by one; over the period of the last 10 years or so; the last to leave was my daughter - just 30 months ago. Her leaving was the most painful of them all!


Two-and-a-half years ago my daughter left Australia to pursue her career in medicine, in a third world country, literally half-a-world-away!


Today she has matured into a beautiful and extremely capable, young woman, mother and Doctor. I am immensely proud of her!


But where has my little girl gone ... I find myself asking? Particularly when caught up in a reflective, even sentimental moment. I know I can never re-capture those long ago moments; but I enjoy them the memory of them, as though they were just yesterday. And I comfort myself with the thought that in some measure I can live them all over again through my young grand daughter!


Watching (even from afar) my (far too independent) daughter as she explores the complexities and wonders of parent-hood thrills me beyond description.

Ahh the memories ....

No comments: